Monday, March 9, 2015

India Pale Lager Update

I took a sample Last Thursday, 3/5/15, evening that came in at 1.013 on the hydrometer.  It tasted great but I thought that I detected a hint of butterscotch which is an indicator of their still being diacetyl present at a perceptible level so I decided to leave the temp set at 63 degrees.  Saturday morning my brother and sister in law came over and wanted to, "see where the magic happens"...his words, not mine...but I dig it!  I pulled the airlock off of the IPL and it smelled great.  Very hoppy with not even a hint of butterscotch.

At 10:00 PM last night, 3/8/15, I dropped the temp on the fermentation chamber to 1.5 C (34.7 F) to begin the lagering process.  I'll leave the beer alone for 2 weeks before I pull a sample and will likely raise the temp at that time to about 63 F to begin the dry hopping process.  I have high hopes for this beer but that could be said for every beer I've ever brewed! 

Cheers and check back soon for a post about my experience in a local beer competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment